Friday, June 26, 2009

Week 1

I got here safely on Thursday afternoon along with one other intern. We rested that day and spent the evening with a local family at their house, where we had a delicious dinner and enjoyed a warm outdoor fire and some smores (apparently it was one of the warmest days of the year so far, it still seemed quite cold to me).

On Friday morning I got right to work learning about the project I will be working on for the duration of my stay here, the Marine Species at Risk program. My job will include recruiting fishermen from around the area as marine observers and educating the children of the town in a week-long marine species camp.

Friday and Saturday were quite relaxing as we were trapped in by the constant rain. Saturday, I was invited (along with the other two women staying in the residence house) to a traditional brunch made by a local friend. Sunday cleared up just in time to take a long boat ride with the family who had us over for dinner the first night. We saw all sorts of creatures, such as humpback whales, seals and puffins. In addition to all of this watching, we even did some fishing of our own and caught a few sculpins, one of the ugliest fish I have ever seen.

Monday we did a bit of work in the morning but mostly got ready for the onslaught of interns who would be spending the week here for orientation. And now, Orientation Week has flown by! It is hard to believe it is already Thursday! The week was filled with meetings, games, hikes, and a drive down the coast. Highlights include seeing and climbing the second largest lighthouse in Canada (100+ steps, rough on the legs), going to the Basque landing sight, seeing icebergs, and finding the best bakery on the coast. I also experienced the largest bonfire I've ever seen in my life, towering almost 2 stories high for St. Jean Baptiste day. More to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment